Mainly Mattias Ohlund

Monday, March 10, 2008

Hey Mattias, did you know you're on Jim Robson's LIST??

Josh Plummer's interview of Jim Robson had some interesting tidbits:
Jim: I don't think there is a set criteria for retiring a player's number. Look at all the players the great Montreal Canadiens have honoured. I think the next Canuck number to be retired should be Trevor Linden's #16. I don't think a player has to play his whole career with one team but longtime service should count for a lot. The Canucks have yet to have a Hall of Famer, so I don't expect many retired numbers.
Jim: I was afraid you would ask for my "All-time Canucks" (laughs) The list has changed somewhat over the years and I always have a problem with it. It’s difficult to compare eras. But here goes.

GOAL: Roberto Luongo gave the Canucks the finest single season in team history and he'll probably become the Canuck's all-time best but considering longtime service, I would currently go with Kirk McLean.

DEFENCE: I think Mattias Ohlund is the best defenceman the Canucks have ever had. My second defenceman is tougher to pick. As much as I admire Harold Snepsts and Doug Lidster, I think I would go with Jyrki Lumme.

CENTER: Much like defence, the Canucks have never had a dominant offensive player at this position.(Discounting Mark Messier, who only had three years in Vancouver near the end of his great career) I would still pick Thomas Gradin as the Canuck's best all-time center.

LEFT WING: No question here; it's Markus Naslund, who will soon own most, if not all, of Vancouver's scoring records.

RIGHT WING: The Canucks have been blessed with some very good right wingers, including all-time favourite character players like Stan Smyl and Trevor Linden but my choice still has to be Pavel Bure. For my money, he’s the best player the Canucks have ever had. The fans who booed him when he left town forgot what great thrills, skills & excitement he provided.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • For Trevor i think they should retire his number just before he retires on his very last game in the NHL, so he can play his final game with his name and number in the rafters. I just think it would be exciting for him!....and me!
    no actually that would be very sad for me but either way!

    By Blogger canucks<3, at 11:47 am  

  • ^^I like that idea! I can't even begin to fathom Linden not being around (even though he hardly ever plays anymore >-( ). It's going to be a sad, sad day.

    Linden's number will definitely be retired. It would be a travesty if it isn't. I also agree about Ohlie. I always say that he is one of the most underrated defensemen in the League.

    By Blogger alayna, at 12:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home