Mainly Mattias Ohlund

Sunday, November 18, 2007

The infamous Koivu/Ohlund incident

Well, someone finally posted the vid. I think that with all of the stricter enforcement of rules, NHL players are finding more subtle ways to show their displeasure in the game: properly timed words, trips, slashes and elbows. Things that fly under the radar. I think I would have preferred Ohlie going after Koivu rather than that instinctive slash. So does he, probably, in retrospect. However, maybe this will bring the elbowing to the head to the attention of the league and potentially make it a penalized offence.

UPDATE: So Ohlie's getting a 4 game suspension without pay. There was some opinion that he should've been out for at least 3 so as to not be present during the next Minnesota game on Wednesday. I guess the NHL went along with that. Koivu's fibula was cracked so he won't be playing until the crack fills in (approximately a week) - Youngblood's article in the Minnesota Star Tribune.

6 Comments:

  • What I'm wondering is why we haven't heard anything yet concerning an Ohlund suspension. Wouldn't they have said by now?

    Ohlund shouldn't have slashed Koivu, but then Koivu shouldn't have shoved his elbow and stick into Olhund's face. Ohlund was frustrated and just let it get the better of him. I would've prefered them to fight.

    I agree with A.V. If they're going to look at this one, look at the two elbow in the face incidents that happened to Kesler in that game.

    I'm worried about Wednesday's game after what Boogard said.

    By Blogger alayna, at 11:57 am  

  • Did the NHL purposely wait until 3 hours before a game to suspend Ohlie so that nobody can be called up? We have no defense! I hope Krajicek is back soon. I was expecting 2 games not 4.

    You know, I don't condone what Ohlund did, but nor do I blame him for doing it. Naturally, the two "elbow to the face" incidents go by unpunished. I thought the NHL was trying to get rid of stuff like that.

    By Blogger alayna, at 3:03 pm  

  • I totally agree. However, I don't think that the NHL can get after the elbows to the head after a game if they weren't called during the game itself.

    Hopefully they'll do a league wide notice to the referees to specifically look out for the dangerous elbows as the number of incidents are increasing!

    By Blogger Mainly Mattias, at 3:18 pm  

  • Gaborik should've been suspended for the elbow on kesler.
    Btw the Oiler/Canucks game just finished.

    Canucks 4
    Oilers 5/SO
    Omg another shootout win for the oilers......

    Oh and sorry for not posting in a while. lol i was grounded.
    Yeah im 15. Big Woop.

    By Blogger canuck_fan19, at 9:27 pm  

  • apparently I was worried for nothing...as we actually won, nobody was hurt, and Nazzy finally got the hat trick that my mom has been predicting every game this season.

    By Blogger alayna, at 4:38 pm  

  • welcome back canuck_fan19. =) i'll call you C for short.

    yeah, a, i was somewhat worried too but i would never have predicted that hat trick that your mom did..

    By Blogger Mainly Mattias, at 1:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home